TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2011-09-09 03:07:13

camb

Auto pile listing

Hi,

The game is playing very nicely now. My only major quibble is that when you stand on a pile of items the only information shown is that you're standing on a pile of items (not very helpful). It can get tedious making the extra keypresses required to see what's in each pile, especially if there are dozens to go through - it's easy to forget which items are in which piles.

It would be much nicer if the contents were automatically listed when you stepped on a pile.

I think you suggested that I use the ']' command to see what items are nearby, but this isn't really a good solution. Would you be able to add an option to list the contents of any pile stepped on?

Cameron

#2 2011-09-09 08:53:19

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: Auto pile listing

Where would they be listed?  Do you want a screen interrupt so you have to press a button to get back to the normal screen every time you walk over something?  Do you want them to all go in the status line so you have to clear the -more- prompt every time you step on a list of items. 

I was thinking of the object list window.  I could make it so it updates when you are looking around, and shows the highlighted pile at the top of the list.

#3 2011-09-09 13:50:49

camb

>Do you want a screen interrupt so you have to press a button to get back to the normal
>screen every time you walk over something?  Do you want them to all go in the status
>line so you have to clear the -more- prompt every time you step on a list of items.
No, I was thinking of just listing them at the top right of the screen, as currently happens when you press l+r when standing in a pile.

Moving in any direction or pressing any unrelated key would dismiss the list.

So you could walk over a number of piles as per usual, but their contents would be listed as you step on them without any additional keypresses.

Cameron

#4 2011-09-09 14:11:54

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

You want it to overwrite the dungeon?

And would the next keypress be a command to be processed, or would you want the next keypress to clear the screen?

#5 2011-09-10 01:01:26

camb

>You want it to overwrite the dungeon?
Yes.

When I stand on a pile the only way I know how to see what's in the pile is to press 'l' followed by 'r'. This brings up a list of items in the pile on the top right of the screen.

It would be nice if this list was shown automatically as soon as you stood on the pile, without having to press 'l'+'r'.

>And would the next keypress be a command to be processed, or would you want the next keypress to clear the screen?
The next keypress would be processed as per a normal command, and any part of the screen overwritten by the list would be refreshed.

So things would be exactly as they are now, except that whenever you stepped onto a pile its contents would be listed on the top right (for that move).

Cameron

Last edited by camb (2011-09-10 01:02:59)

#6 2011-09-10 18:15:49

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I checked it out.  The user interface doesn't support it exactly the way you are hoping for.  The main problem is that any time the dungeon display is overwritten, the dungeon screen appearance is saved, the information is displayed, and then the game waits for a prompt from the player to re-load the dungeon before going on.  The game display would be a mess if it was sent back to wait for a basic command beforefirst re-loading the dungeon display.

Here is what is possible, all tied to the (all can be tied to the floor_query_command option) :

In look mode, the display of ojbects can be set to automatically display and update as you look around.  So you just have to (l)ook and move the direction keys around to see the various piles.

The object list window can be updated to first show the items on the highlighted square, then everything else (like it does for the player right now).

The list of objects can be written in the status bar, with a bunch of -more- prompts.

#7 2011-09-11 02:20:55

camb

>In look mode, the display of ojbects can be set to automatically display and update as you look
>around.  So you just have to (l)ook and move the direction keys around to see the various piles.

So as soon as you press 'l' then the contents of the cell you're standing on would be listed on the top right, without having to press 'r'? This sounds like a good solution.

Cameron

#8 2011-09-11 08:31:28

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I added this. It is tied to the option auto_display_lists.  That seemed to make more sense than the floor_query option.

#9 2011-09-17 11:28:12

camb

Thanks. That helps a lot, I think it's a good solution.

Cameron

Board footer