TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

July 4th, 2018 - Registrations have been turned off due to the large ratio of spam vs legitimate discussion.

#1 2011-11-27 07:50:13

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

NPP 0.5.4 Beta-1 uploaded

The first copy of NPP 0.5.4 has been uploaded.

The source code can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngban … n_progress

A windows binary can be downloaded here:

http://download.nppangband.org/npp-0.5.4-win-beta1.zip

The main change is near-total mouse support for the game.  While the experienced player will be able to play faster with a keyboard, the goal in doing this is to reduce the steep learning curve involved in playing Angband.  With that in mind, can I ask my playtesters to spend a couple minutes attempting to play with a mouse rather than the keyboard to see what you think?

Almost every command can be accessed by clicking directly on the player, using the '|' command, or by the buttons at the bottom of the screen.  The buttons should update as you play the game and enter various menus.  Probably the greatest potential for error is that sometimes menus are accessed directly, and sometimes from other menus, and the mousebuttons might not always update correctly.  I corrected everything I saw, but there are so many different ways to access these menus I am sure I didn't catch them all.

'|' now brings up an interactive menu for interacting with objects.  You can perform multiple commands on multiple objects without leaving the menu.  (eg delete several items, then pick up several items from the floor).  Note that some of these commands use energy (throw, destroy, cast), and the game is processing everything while you are in the menu, so the something happens that needs your attention, the game ejects you from this menu.  So if this happens, it is probably not a bug but rather something happened in the game that needs your attention. (a monster moved withing LOS, you just got hungry or a temporary resist expired, etc...)

For the experienced player, I think the mouse support will be helpful in a couple situations:

1) Standing on a pile of items with a full backpack, trying to decide what to keep and what to throw away.
2) Gaining spells.  Using '|', you can gain multiple spells with the same command.  It is a little quicker to browse the spells you can gain and then choose one, or multiple ones, from the game book.
3) Menus with lots of obscure commands, like targeting or resting.  All of the possible commands now show up on the status bar as a descriptive button.  I have been maintaining this game for 8 years and I didn't know what half of the targeting options actually were.  Some of them are actually pretty useful.

I did have to change a little bit of core game code to allow for objects to be selected before the command is selected.  There is potential I introduced some bugs in the keyboard commands when I did this.  Again, I tested it but I am sure I missed something.  Please let me know if the game behaves strangely using keyboard commands.

I am looking forward to getting back to adding actual gameplay features.

#2 2011-11-27 07:51:25

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: NPP 0.5.4 Beta-1 uploaded

The only thing I plan on adding to 0.5.4 before starting 0.6.0 is a birth option to disable all the NPP terain and just play vanilla dungeons.  Here is the changelist so far:

NPP 0.5.4 changes:
Added support so that virtually the entire game to be played with the mouse.
Rename fixed monster quests to Guardian quests.
Increase Morgoth's spellpower and percentage.
Give Morgoth the teleport_self_to spell.
Removed Potions of Heroism and Scrolls of Holy Chant from the "infinite stock" list.
Bugfix: Equipment and itemlist windows were not updating properly when the player was in a store.
Bugfix: There was a playtesting message when examining a store service.
Bugfix: Player ghost templates were not saving properly when a player died.
Bugfix: Several of the player ghost templates were defective.
Bugfix: Teleport level allowed the player to bypass a guardian (fixed monster) quest.
Bugfix: The player was allowed to keep a never ending supply of magic books in the home.
Bugfix: A throwing weapon that had been in the quiver couldn't be wielded again.
Bugfix: The jet black amulet was being shown with a blue colored tile.
Bugfix: Fixed several bugs regarding replacing a quest monster that has not been killed by the player.

#3 2011-11-29 20:22:20

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I couple updates.  There was a bug that could cause the game to hang when maintaining hte stores (every 10000 turns), and I added the birth option for simple, Vanilla Angband dungeons.

The source is updated at github, and I uploaded a new windows binary (same file name, beta-1).

#4 2012-01-24 19:17:43

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I uploaded an update to the windows binary.  It works out many of the issues with the new object and spellcasting menus.  A couple more features and/bugfixes as well:

http://download.nppangband.org/npp-0.5.4-win-beta1.zip

In the object knowledge menu, the categories now have plural names.
Change the colors of some spells (electric bursts, spores).
+Bugfix: Fixed several bugs regarding replacing a quest monster that has not been killed by the player.
+Bugfix: In the object knowledge menu, Dragon shields and Druid spellbooks now appear in the right order.
+Bugfix: In the object knowledge menu, a section has been added for chests.

#5 2012-01-29 14:11:36

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

There are some more uploads at github, including fixing several of the problems with the object menus and the noun-verb object menu.  Same links as above.  The changes are:

The edges of the detected trap areas now show up onscreen.
Improvements and fixing bugs to the objects and noun-verb menus.
DVG tileset - code changes to support tiles for detect trap edge, squelch objects, and object piles.
Expanded colors are now used when spells are cast by the monsters and player.
DVG tileset - epanded tile support for ball spells and bolt spells.
Deleted files supporting Nintento DS, Amiga, and RISC-OS operating sytems.
Changed the message a player gets regarding the weight of armor reducing the player's mana.
Removed several files for operating systems that aren't supported any more or never were (Amiga, Risc-OS, Nintendo DS)

Board footer