TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#26 2015-01-15 19:39:54

Z-Machine

Re: NPP 8.0.0

NPPAngband wrote:

Looking forward to finally getting to the playtesting stage.

Yeah, me too.

#27 2015-02-19 20:40:40

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Almost there.  I am currently doing some de-bugging.  I am finding a small bug every couple minutes.  When I can play for a while without seeing any problems, I will put out a version for those willing to playtest.

#28 2015-03-04 16:48:12

tig

I'll be happy to test (RL permitting)

#29 2015-03-05 10:55:16

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Thanks, the help with playtesting will be greatly appreciated.

I am done coding for the beta release, and I am doing some preliminary playtesting.  Everything is very stable and I am finding only small bugs, such as something on-screen not updating right away.  A beta should be out sometime in the next couple days.

#30 2015-03-05 11:27:08

RunningAway

Just fired up the latest code.

Keypad movement only seems to work with NumLock on.

In the store dialogs, the weight shown is the total for the entire number of items.  It would be better if it showed the weight for a single item.  I see 21 robes for sale with a weight of 42lbs.

Also, the dialog titles could be more informative, like "General Store" instead of "NPP Games".

Still getting used to the new key bindings.

Can't find repeat last command.

The Sell button in the store dialog does not work.

easy_alter does not work right on doors.  End up bashing the door instead of opening it.

Died.  Opened savefile to create new character, hung when clicked Ok on the dialog.  Saw this in the console:
QString::arg: Argument missing: Thu Mar 5 2015, 11:53:57
QObject::connect: No such slot PlayerDeathDialog::death_messages() in NPPQT/src/player_death.cpp:94

Hang is repeatable with any savefile so far.

Last edited by RunningAway (2015-03-05 12:43:54)

#31 2015-03-05 14:28:01

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

For that last one, on line 39 of player_death.cpp, and line 21 of player_death.h, there is an extra s in "death_messages".  ("death_messsages").

But that doesn't stop the game freeze.  I will look into it.

Update - the fix for the freeze during player birth has been committed to the Jeff branch of NPPQT.

-Jeff

#32 2015-03-05 22:12:50

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

All issues above have been fixed, except the keypad.  That was an experiment in key handling that will be undone. 

About the key bindings, the main purpose was to get rid of roguelike commands, and make use of the alt and ctrl keys in commands.   I tried to group things together, like all gain spell, cast spell, and browse all use the M key. 

The repeat command is 'c'.  Under help, you can call up a list of all commands.

#33 2015-03-06 09:31:31

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

@Runningaway - thanks for the help playtesting.  I just fixed a bug involving the savefiles, and the commit breaks savefile compatability.  It is only a problem if you are playing multiple characters.  But I just wanted to give you a heads-up that downloading the latest version changes the savefile format.

#34 2015-03-06 10:52:45

RunningAway

That's ok.  All of my characters so far have died quickly.

Meeting Wolf immediately your first time down to level 1 almost counts as instadeath.  That's what happened the last time.  Alas, that's not a bug.

Can you make '0' work again for repeat count?

I don't think the magic shop should buy scrolls and potions because it doesn't stock them.

Uh, dun_util.cpp is an empty file.

I get this: Couldn't load [redacted]NPPQT/lib/xtra/graf/projections.pak

Also some of the tile files.

I checked, the file exists.

I see "You have slain the [monster].  It dies."

pseudo-id seems to be working awfully well for a mage.

Only one monster in LOS.  Cast an attack spell on the monster, using target (c) instead of direction, and monster dies. Using the 'c' command still repeats the spell.  Doesn't ask to retarget or anything.

No AC in the sidebar?

This will require some layout-fu, but it would be nice if the top part of the store dialog didn't scroll with the rest of it.

Also, there are a huge number of typos in the comments.

I've been looking at the code, and I have some ideas for improvements, but I have been holding off while you get it working.

I'm not usually here at this time, but I've caught the plague from the kids.

Last edited by RunningAway (2015-03-06 12:09:23)

#35 2015-03-06 16:57:05

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Thanks.

Right now I have done something to completely mess up monster and object memory.  Once I figure out what that is and fix it I will look at these other things.

With regard do the scrolling store dialog.  Putting a scrollable window inside of a fixed size pane creates a mess.  It is extremely difficult to control the dialog size at that point.  I have the opposite problem with the object menus.  They get too big, but if I put them inside a scrollable window, they only display a couple items at a time.

#36 2015-03-06 17:24:28

RunningAway

I think the trick is to create two panes in the dialog.  Or create the fixed part as a toolbar.  Still not that familiar with QT, but that's how you do it in Java.

#37 2015-03-08 10:10:28

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

RunningAway wrote:

Can you make '0' work again for repeat count?

Done.

RunningAway wrote:

I don't think the magic shop should buy scrolls and potions because it doesn't stock them.

I never noticed that.  Plus, two other shops already buys them.  It's changed.

RunningAway wrote:

Uh, dun_util.cpp is an empty file.

I wish I remembered what I was going to put there.

RunningAway wrote:

I get this: Couldn't load [redacted]NPPQT/lib/xtra/graf/projections.pak

Also some of the tile files.

I checked, the file exists.

I will have to check with Diego on this one.

RunningAway wrote:

I see "You have slain the [monster].  It dies."

From combat or spells?

RunningAway wrote:

Same with my priest test character.  I can't find out why yet.

RunningAway wrote:

Only one monster in LOS.  Cast an attack spell on the monster, using target (c) instead of direction, and monster dies. Using the 'c' command still repeats the spell.  Doesn't ask to retarget or anything.

Fixed.

RunningAway wrote:

No AC in the sidebar?

Oops!  Fixed.

RunningAway wrote:

This will require some layout-fu, but it would be nice if the top part of the store dialog didn't scroll with the rest of it.
Also, there are a huge number of typos in the comments.
I've been looking at the code, and I have some ideas for improvements, but I have been holding off while you get it working.

Not surprised about the typos. I correct them as I see them.

How does any item-based dialog box display for you when you have a full backpack?  It tends to go off the end of the screen for me, but I have not figured out a good scrollbar layout yet.

#38 2015-03-08 22:02:37

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

RunningAway wrote:

For everybody, actually.  It had a 100% chance of success.  Fixed.

#39 2015-03-13 18:57:12

Fates

Is there any chance of new command set and original angband being a birth option toggle at some point? I admit to hitting angband and variants in *cough* the 80s on an Amiga and being a tad bit hard coded by this point.

And nobody tell me there's an editor past Emacs too *buries head in sand*

Fates

#40 2015-03-13 20:31:31

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I am resisting using the old command set, as I am trying to move the UI forward and reduce the learning curve for new players.  But based on the early feedback it might be inevitable.  I am having the same problem.  I got started on a VAX terminal in a computer lab at my university the late 80s.

Or I might just create a dialog where the player can link any command to any key they want.

#41 2015-03-15 17:35:56

CyclopsSlayer

OK Initial Impressions.
First my particulars. Win7 64bit SP1, Native Screen resolution 1920x1080

UI
- Char Stat display bar/window has no way to set font size? WAY too small at default for comfortable viewing at 1920 res
- Char Stat display fonts are too close to bar edges. For instance the H in HP displays as -| not as |-|. All the initial and finial letters are squeezed to the left/right edges. Add leading/ending blank or black space?
- Game Window does not auto rescale with Text Font changes in ASCII mode.
- Game cannot be played with any secondary window open. I traditionally ran with Message, Monster and Inv/Equip windows open.
- Current command key choices are very non-intuitive. I am getting used to them but it seems more of a Fight than a Transition. For instance take the W commands. Grouping Wear/Wield with W makes sense, but instead we have 'w' to Wield, Ctrl-Shift-W to take off and 'W' swaps weapons? It would make vastly more sense to pair 'w' and 'W' as Wear/take off and put the swap weapon as the more obscure and vastly less used three key combo. As well things like why are 'o' disarm trap, 'O' modify trap grouped with ALT-O for tunnel?
- The HP bar over the Player/Monster Head in ASCII mode was an unexpected but very pleasant surprise.

CREATION
- Mostly simple and straight forward
- Character creation, shouldn't the save file default to Char Name? Starts blank. 8+3 limits haven't applied in a long time.
- There seems to be no tip on the Creation Window for Elf race, it shares Half-Elf.
- There is an odd line break in the middle of the High-Elf tip
- Warrior tip. Style choice not a bug. Would it be better to list the L26 attack gain, then the L30 resist Fear gain. Instead of L30 first?
- Ranger tip. "extra sho(W) with a bow" should be extra sho(T)

GAMEPLAY
- All Knowledge is shared currently. So if any character ever saw something ALL future chars have that knowledge. If this is intentional why even have a discovery mode, just start players knowing everything. Since loading from a Dead Char file used to create a Parent/Child link it made sense there to an extent.
- Is the Macro system gone? I didn't look extensively but couldn't seem to find it. I am used to remapping my DEL, INS, Home and END keys to various game functions. ie. whether Magic Missile or Fire a bow I had DEL & END set to my primary and secondary attacks, Home to Blink/Teleport/Escape.
- Targeting. There seems to be no way to lock a target in now, every spell/shot needs to be retargeted?

#42 2015-03-15 19:34:43

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Thanks for trying it out and the feedback.  BETA-2 should be much more functional.

The secondary windows are on the to-do list. 
I am moving back to the old command list.  The new keymapping was universally hated.
Save file not defaulting to character name was a bug.  It is fixed for beta-2.
Macros aren't coded yet. 
Targeting should work with the use old target by default option on. Please let me know if it isn't.
Thanks for noticing the issues with the character tooltips.

#43 2015-03-20 19:42:06

Fates

Nobody was knocking the new command list. The old farts *cough like me* were just hoping to be able to specify original key combinations like the old rogue key combinations was a settings option.

I know there has to be more intuitive ways to interact with the game than  Ctrl this and that, and people coming up without 10+ years of trying to find a good and maintained angband variant will worship you for it... well as long as it isnt another diablo rev 1 *ducks and looks for his nomex suit*

Fates

Seriously we all want NPP to move forward and get more people hooked... Okay I sound like I'm on the corner here offering free samples...

#44 2015-03-20 20:57:37

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

That's what I was thinking of doing.....Having the new commands as the default option, but also have the classic Angband command set, as well as the roguelike keyset as options.

I am almost done addressing all of the comments from beta-1.  Beta-2 to come in a couple weeks.

#45 2015-03-20 20:59:54

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

CyclopsSlayer wrote:

- All Knowledge is shared currently. So if any character ever saw something ALL future chars have that knowledge. If this is intentional why even have a discovery mode, just start players knowing everything. Since loading from a Dead Char file used to create a Parent/Child link it made sense there to an extent.

I will eventually make an option to clear player memory, or the player can to into the *nppangband/lib/bone and rename or delete the file "nppangband_memory.npp".

#46 2015-03-22 21:39:59

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

For BETA-2, the Angband keyset and the roguelike keyset have been added as options.  The player can choose between the 3 keysets.

#47 2015-03-23 23:14:10

CyclopsSlayer

Woot! Thank you.

The 8.0 has a bit of a learning curve but the more I play it the more I am liking it. Must be out of practice though, falling through trap doors at 50' almost immediately way too often. smile

#48 2015-03-26 19:33:15

Fates

Object menu could use a scroll bar on it.
My laptop's display won't let me get at all I'm carrying at its max resolution(1600x900).
Everything can be used on 2nd monitor (1920x1080)

#49 2015-03-27 07:43:23

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Thanks for reminding me.  I almost forgot about that one.

The scroll bars are a kind of quirky in QT.  I haven't found a good setup for the object menu yet.  It is on the list.

#50 2015-03-27 09:52:26

Fates

A second option rather than adding a scroll would be to display by grouping of items. Sub page 1 would display all the items you could buy/sell at store 1, and repeat break down from there.

Board footer