TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2015-07-04 11:43:36

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Update on QT progress

I thought BETA-4 would be out a long time ago, but there has been a lot of activity.  I did update Beta 3 a couple weeks ago, since it had some critical errors that made the game unplayable.

Shockbolt's NPPAngband tileset is almost done.  I did some work on the other 2 tilesets as well.  Especially for NPPMoria, where initially I just took the closest resembling NPPAngband tile and used that.  Now every feature, creature, player race/class combo, and object in both games have their own unique tile. 

I also working on simplifying the terrain list.  Every time it changes, it breaks savefile compatibility.  I don't want to do a release where the savefile format will only be good for a couple days.

All of the extra windows are done.  The dungeon Map and the overhead map were the final 2 that weren't in Beta-3.

I am working on the hotkeys now, as a replacement for macros.  There will be a dialog box where you can select the key, and check boxes for the commands will be in simple English...."Cast a spell"...."Magic Missile"..."Target nearest creature".  Each hotkey can have an infinite number of steps.  So the player could, if they wanted to, read a scroll of mass banishment, quaff a potion of cure critical wounds, then rest until fully healed, then zap a rod of detection, all with one keystroke.  You won't need to inscribe any objects with "f1" or anything like that.  The game will find the proper object or spellbook, determine if the object/spell is available, and execute the command.

BETA_4 will likely come out in August.   After that, about all that is remaining is character dumps and screenshots before we can call NPPQT complete.

#2 2015-07-06 18:03:56

camb

Re: Update on QT progress

Will you be compiling a Mac version soon?

Regards,
Cameron

#3 2015-07-06 20:20:33

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Yes, now that the game is almost finished.  I just have to add a couple lines to code for how MAC handles Unicode characters and it should all work.

#4 2015-08-30 21:15:31

Fates

Will there be instructions for compiling various linux variants? I'm currently trying my best to get away from Windows and I'm looking at debian based, so far LMDE mint 2 and kde.

I downloaded beta 3 and found it really stable, the only errors I got were relating to tile sets not being present and non issues in regards to actual function.

Fates

#5 2015-08-30 22:25:10

Fates

I believe what is happening here, the cleaning of the code base and separating code from interface is the way to go.

This may  sound strange but I really wish it were happening at the core. What is happening IS the right way to move forward and needs to happen at the supposed root of angband, vanilla. I've played countless variants since my Amiga 500 with 13Megs and a 68030 days and I can honestly say while I've loved a lot of them, cursed more than a few, that the saving grace on the whole was regardless of how much the RNG pissed me off I had another variant that I'd been meaning to try aside from an 8 year drop into a mud I wasted, err spent a lot more time than my wife, spouse and clannies on said mud, wanted me to be here or anywhere else. I *love* what is happening I just hope there is life in vanilla to retrofit life there too. The pessimist in me goes I enjoy the whole genre of variants and fear that we're finally seeing a death to the omfg what do you mean there is no graphics interface here. I'm hoping that people here help to prevent this, either via porting to other OSes or providing some sort of package support for the more common and hopefully my flavor of linux. We know we're a fringe and that not having a 3D, 100+ fps interface limits the common interest so we need to make it easier for people to get here than a telnet connection to a mud.

Yes there are some damn good muds out there. Hell I have played on a few of them, even met my wife on one... But I don't want to see angband fall off the digital map just due to there isn't a gamepad and whole slew of power ups.

Fates

#6 2015-08-31 11:56:46

hydraa

Been a long time since I was here (forum said nov-2008) and finding some interesting updates.  I am having some display issues especially on beta-3 (I also have some issues running 7 where some of the fonts sometimes do not display.
Launching 8 I get messages that it could not load lib/xtra/graf/projections.pak ; lib/xtra/graf/tiles_32x32.pak; lib/xtra/graf/tiles_8x8.pak.  it looks like thise are in the lib/graf directory but there is no xtra/graf.
The message windows just writes all to the same line and the main windows does not seem to work right either.

Playing on Windows 7 and the nppangband side of it.

Copying the directory to the new requested directory has the tile set displaying (though I am partial to the ascii set and it does not look good on my machine) I will be trying it on a couple of other boxes as well to see if it works.  and go through the formum and see if there is any setup I am missing to make it display correctly.

#7 2015-09-04 20:45:37

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Good to hear from you, hydraa!  You live on in the game as a player ghost template.

Beta-3 is a little broken.  I am long overdue in posting beta-4.  I am trying to make all the changes that affect the savefile format so beta-4 savefiles can be used from that point forward.

Interesting about windows 7 and the windows messages.  I am working in windows 8, but it shouldn't be too different.  I will look into this.

The other reason Beta-4 has been long overdue is I have been traveling a lot for work lately.  This will end in a few weeks, then my progress should pick up noticeably.

#8 2015-09-04 20:49:35

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Fates wrote:

Will there be instructions for compiling various linux variants? I'm currently trying my best to get away from Windows and I'm looking at debian based, so far LMDE mint 2 and kde.

I downloaded beta 3 and found it really stable, the only errors I got were relating to tile sets not being present and non issues in regards to actual function.

Fates

Yes.  I have not gotten to checking how it looks on Linux yet. 

I think I will eventually get to instructions on how to compile for Linux.  The simplest way is to download QT for your version of Linux, open the NPP project file in the base directory, run qmake, and then compile.  But yes, that is just not what Linux is all about.  When I get there I will hopefully create a list of packages that need to be retrieved to run on Linux.

#9 2015-09-04 20:55:02

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Fates wrote:

I believe what is happening here, the cleaning of the code base and separating code from interface is the way to go.

This may  sound strange but I really wish it were happening at the core. What is happening IS the right way to move forward and needs to happen at the supposed root of angband, vanilla. I've played countless variants since my Amiga 500 with 13Megs and a 68030 days and I can honestly say while I've loved a lot of them, cursed more than a few, that the saving grace on the whole was regardless of how much the RNG pissed me off I had another variant that I'd been meaning to try aside from an 8 year drop into a mud I wasted, err spent a lot more time than my wife, spouse and clannies on said mud, wanted me to be here or anywhere else. I *love* what is happening I just hope there is life in vanilla to retrofit life there too. The pessimist in me goes I enjoy the whole genre of variants and fear that we're finally seeing a death to the omfg what do you mean there is no graphics interface here. I'm hoping that people here help to prevent this, either via porting to other OSes or providing some sort of package support for the more common and hopefully my flavor of linux. We know we're a fringe and that not having a 3D, 100+ fps interface limits the common interest so we need to make it easier for people to get here than a telnet connection to a mud.

Yes there are some damn good muds out there. Hell I have played on a few of them, even met my wife on one... But I don't want to see angband fall off the digital map just due to there isn't a gamepad and whole slew of power ups.

Fates

Right now, I believe Angband intends to incorporate the QT port.  They have gone about the same goals in quite a different way, but I think QT will fit in there in some way.  There have been several conversations about it over on .oook, and Nick and I have traded some messages over it as well.

Board footer