TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2016-02-17 16:49:16

hydraa

8.2.0 - monster lit squares not equated to line of sight for monster

Sent a save file.

I am not sure on this one but I would think a square that is lit by a monster that I can see should be the same as the square that I see the monster in.  I see the monster in more squares than his light currently (around a corner)

#2 2016-02-17 20:59:23

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: 8.2.0 - monster lit squares not equated to line of sight for monster

The issue here is that there are three different functions that determine line-of-sight/projectability, and they are all used in different parts of the source code for different reasons.  The code that determines whether a square within the monster's light radius is visible by the player is different than the one used to decide if the player can see a monster, (which, in turn, is different than the one that decides if the player can cast a spell over that square). 

I will experiment with this, but it is tricky.  Changing which LOS function is used I certain situations can have a major effect on game strategy. It might have to stay that way.

And again, thank you for the savefile.  This would have been difficult to duplicate.

#3 2016-02-18 12:36:40

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I made it a little more consistent.  Thanks.

#4 2016-02-18 13:58:23

hydraa

I tried loading my save file and it did not react the way I was expecting.
I have all display options turned on.
I am not able to see their yellow light like I was before.
Also it appears that their lit squares are not being remember as it was before.

I would think that the light would be even more visible than the monster (I might see the edge of its light before I can see the monster)

did a test in town and it appears that the monster with light is lighting some squares, but it may be lighting the square after movement.
Move the player to the west and watch as the drunk to the east follows.  The squares light but not as the light source from the monster lights them, but some turns later it becomes lit.

Last edited by hydraa (2016-02-18 14:10:42)

#5 2016-02-18 15:22:58

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Yes, in further testing it didn't work as expected.  It has been switched back.

Board footer