TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2005-04-16 12:19:55

camster

MAC OSX 0.4.1

has anyone been able to get the MacOSX version of NPP0.41 to go? It seems to open and then close right away for me.

from here:
http://www.treefrogcreations.com/angban … .1-OSX.tgz

thanks much,
camster

#2 2005-04-17 05:56:03

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: MAC OSX 0.4.1

There is something wrong with that version.  Since I only have a computer with windows as an OS, I don't know what it is.  I am suprised nobody has made another one.  I have asked, but nobody done it yet.

-Jeff

#3 2005-04-17 07:30:49

Eldomir
Website

I'm sorry I haven't said anything before, I wasn't aware there were problems with the OSX version for some people - I am running OSX 10.3.8 and NPP 0.4.1 works like a charm for me except that it doesn't keep preferences on exit, which is no big deal. It definitely doesn't crash on me or anything of the sort...if anyone needs my binary I can e-mail it or send it to Jeff, although I don't see what difference it might have with the binary camster has tried.

Pedro

#4 2005-04-17 11:33:27

camster

Pedro,
if you don't mind to send your binaries, I'd love to check them out. I think you can get me email from the link. I did notice the lack of preferences save on 0.4.0 as well. This one won't even start, I didn't know if it needed to be in the right place, or if I needed to erase the older version...

anyway, thanks for the help.

cheers,
camster

#5 2005-04-17 12:14:47

Eldomir
Website

camster,

This site won't allow me to actually see your e-mail address. I can send you e-mail through a form, and with no attachments. Maybe this will work: I've uploaded a .sit file with my NPP binary that you might be able to download from here:

[url]http://www.ruadh.org/NPPAngband 0.4.1.sit[/url]

It's archived from my own playing files, and although I've tried to delete all my personal preferences and stuff it might still have something left, sorry if it does (at least I got rid of my savefiles). Let me know if it works!

Pedro

#6 2005-04-17 18:24:06

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Thanks Pedro. 

The only other thing I can think of tthat needs to be deleted is the player ghost templates in lib\bones.  Any one with a extension number less than 125 is probably one of Pedros player ghosts.

-Jeff

-Jeff

#7 2005-06-02 14:37:07

ClosetPacifist

Hello! I tried both the binaries listed in this thread, but didn't have any luck; both opened up, paused for a wee bit, and then quit. I played around with the source a bit though, and found a nice fix, although I'm sure it's a hack.

I just added Term_resize(td->cols,td->rows); to the very end of init_windows(), and walla! It seems to be working fine. If anyone else's still having the same problem, I could post a binary.

Hopefully this might help someone; many thanks to the respective parties for NPPAngband, which I'm sure will now provide me with much enjoyment, and for the forums, which seem to provide a nice little community!

#8 2005-06-07 23:46:50

dhsu70

The line added to the init_windows() function got the game to open for me, but I am now running into a (I think) silly bug.  Whenever I try to save, I get the following error:
setgid(): cannot set permissions correctly!

I was monkeying with the permissions of the save and user directories but that did not seem to have much luck.  I am running on 10.4.1.

thank you

#9 2005-06-28 10:59:33

Petlor

I'm on 10.4.1 and am running into the same issue. I added the Term->resize call, but I get the permissions error when I try to launch the app.

#10 2005-06-29 02:26:03

Twilight
Spoiler Maker

It's like an itch that has to be scratched. I have to respond despite not having a mac! wink

This may be unnecessary/redundant advice, but have you (all of those with prob's) tried asking on rec.games.roguelike.angband? Since Jeff stated he's got no Mac-access I thought it might be worth trying there to reach a bigger audience.

Btw : I'm not certain if he's still doing this and how he selects what to compile, but doesn't pelpel do a bunch of Mac-compiles?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

#11 2005-12-25 06:44:24

Ceilti

Hi,

I can't believe it's been almost a year!. Does anyone remember me? If not I'm back, really anxious to get back to playing, have a new imac with OS X.4.3 and cannot open the game no matter what i try!

I'm new to OS X but I understand there many differences between X4.+ and earlier versions perhaps this is the problem?

I will ask on RGRA, but i wanted to say hi to everyone and I hope all here has a good holiday

adieu,

Ceilti

ceilticahill@mac.com

Last edited by Ceilti (2005-12-25 06:45:27)

"I am the warrior" - Pat Benatar

#12 2005-12-25 17:26:23

Ceilti

HI again,

still no luck with 4.1, but I found a OS X compile of 4.0 at the FTP site which works fine! (whew). This is an intuitive guess, but I think perhaps part of the problem with the 4.1 compile may be that it is archived in a format unusual for the mac - tar - whereas the 4.0 is the traditional - sit -.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Ceilti

cahillceilti@mac.com

#13 2005-12-26 01:45:18

Twilight
Spoiler Maker

Ceilti wrote:

Happy Holidays everyone!

Not much activity around here nowadays ... I assume players are breathlessly waiting for the new version as much as I am. New terrain-code etc ... mmmmm.

I don't know much about your problem, but I'll answer the other part!

Happy Holidays and welcome back to the game!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

#14 2005-12-26 13:40:25

ramela

Nowadays I can't make it past stat gain with a High Elf Warrior, so I'm too embarrassed to post here.

Edit: Oops... tongue

Last edited by ramela (2005-12-26 13:40:56)

style7,NPPAngband.png

#15 2005-12-26 20:55:57

Ceilti

Twilight wrote:
Ceilti wrote:

Happy Holidays everyone!

Happy Holidays and welcome back to the game!

You know it's great to be back. 6 yrs ago I had a kidney transplant, and then almost exactly a year ago I suddenly needed another one. Now, everything is settling in nicely and I'm looking forward to several months of recuperative therapy by *banding before going back to work. Really get a years worth of pent up hostility out on those monsters. It's been so long I doubt I will be very good anytime soon.
sad

I've got this great new machine which comes with it's own compiler - I just found this out today - so as soon as learn how to use Xcode and gcc I will gladly upload mac OS X ports of NPPband. Are you reading this Jeff?! Don't expect anything for awhile because this compiler looks a little complex!

Ceilti

#16 2005-12-27 08:16:28

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Ceilti,

Welcome back!  You have been through alot.  I am glad to hear you are recovering well.

Diego and I are still active and steadily working on NPP 050, and are very close to releasing a "Work in progress" version.  I broke both my wrists in June, and I just finished the last of my physical therapy, so my development pace should quicken again.

There has been a big dropoff in overall support of Angband lately.  Vanilla Angband doesn't have a maintainer anymore.  The Angband FTP site is still working but not accepting updates, and, outside of Courtney Campbell of Steamband and Pedro compiling NPP there seems to be little to no support for MacIntosh OSs, either compiling or coding, so I am happy to hear about your new computer.  There should be ready-to-work makefiles for your compiler, at least in theory all you should need in the right command line to get the game to compile.  Of course, nothing involving programming is never that simple in practice. smile

Have fun taking out those monsters again!

-Jeff

Board footer