TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

July 4th, 2018 - Registrations have been turned off due to the large ratio of spam vs legitimate discussion.

#1 2008-09-30 16:40:20

pav
Website

YACD - ranger with no future

Ohai.

I've been playing this character on and off for last two years. I'm maxed at charlevel 50, in depth 3300 feet. I just don't feel I'm doing enough damage with my main weapon. The dump is at http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=6386

I just spent some quality time on a level with Shelob (pushover), Medusa (pusover), Arien the Maia (tough game), and The Mouth of Sauron. He's totally over my head. How can I deal with him? He erases 800 of my hp and heavystuns me in just two rounds. I had to abandon the level.

Also I don't see how can I heal effectively. Healing potions are useless at 325 hp, *Healing* is hard to get and Life costs 120k gold pieces in the store. I'm also out of Restore Mana which I usually carry.

Random questions follows.

What's the deal with artifact creation in the Guild? I cannot find an item it would accept. Can I upgraded existing egos to a randart this way?

How can I protect against plasma bolts? They seem to do ~400 damage with double fire resist. That's three bolts for my char and tombstone.

#2 2008-10-01 00:23:06

ramela

Re: YACD - ranger with no future

Here is the deal with the Mouth of Sauron:

You are supposed to use up multiple *Healing* or Life fighting him. Or use up multiple Restore Mana by using Phase Door + multiple casting of your own Heal (175 hp). That's just the way it is with powerful spell casters. Use regular Heal potions as early as you can without wasting HP(740 hp or lower) in order to conserve your *Healing*/Life potions. As the battle progresses, you will get more and more turns where he just melees you and you get to whack him. Once you have weared down his mana he gets easier. IIRC he is a coward once his mana is out so you might even get to rout him.

Right now the best you can do is Flicker out of his LoS and repeated Heal (175), with TP_Away + rest when you are low on mana. Or just give up on this quest. Vault Quests caused the smallest fame loss. Flicker/Blink/Phase Door always lands outside Vaults, so fight him inside a Vault or in a anti summoning corridor.

You really should carry Life/*Healing* with you to vault quests. sad

style7,NPPAngband.png

#3 2008-10-01 02:35:13

pav
Website

Thanks for your comment. Actually this wasn't the vault quest, it was just a random level. "Orange grade" level feeling...

I figured out and used the "whack-whack-whack, teleport away, heal, chase down" tactic on the Maia (can I keep call them angels, since they're capital A?) earlier. Unfortunately I was out of any healing or restore mana potions because of Demon stronghold quest I took previously. And Mouth of Sauron managed to heal up faster than I did, so the same tactics wasn't effective...

I think I will invest my million in gold bullion into *Life* potions from the temple. I was thinking about forging another artifact, but I think that would be just another fail. That should get me thru some tough battles in the future.

#4 2008-10-01 04:44:05

ramela

A = Ainur. No reason why you couldn't call them Angels since that's what Ainur are for the Middle Earth mythos. Valar = Archangels, Maiar = "normal" angels.

Only "good" or normal items can be made into Artifacts, with the exception of DSM, IIRC. I have never gotten an Artifact worth using from the service though, so I advice getting Life and Healing potions with your money.

I don't remember specifically, but if The Mouth of Sauron has both a Healing spell and a Mana Regeneration spell, he will surely heal up faster than you. I always avoid as long as I can. His drop is not worth his trouble.

style7,NPPAngband.png

Board footer