TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2015-04-22 07:56:26

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

What features of NPPAngband don't work well?

I was wondering, of all the features added to NPP over the years, what are the features that just don't work or add anything to the game?

In other words, what should be undone to make the game better?

My first thought was all the terrain features are way too complex.  While there is a lot of interesting things happening that can give the player combat advantages if they use the terrain right, it isn't apparent what is going on, and there is no simple way to explain it to the player in the middle of a game.  I was thinking of simplifying the terrain greatly.  Just have simple trees, instead of trees with branches that extend out more than one square.  Just shallow water and deep water, and get rid of "crest of a wave breaking over shallow water".  Things like that.

Any thoughts?

#2 2015-04-22 21:00:24

Fates

Re: What features of NPPAngband don't work well?

I'd support pulling trees that need light. They never really made any sense when you look at angband being a dungeon aka below ground and without external light.

I would support putting the old squelch menu back in, as it stands I don't see a simple way for a new player to undo what seemed like a wise squelch decision made earlier.

I don't know how this would work on ego weapons, but how much would difference or unbalancing would be for added blow vs added dice, or adding to critical vs extended dice( aka 3d4 to 3d5).

Last edited by Fates (2015-04-22 21:01:53)

#3 2015-05-04 04:23:58

camb

Yes I'd support simplifying the new terrain. It adds variety but can be more annoying/frustrating than actually interesting during play.

Cameron

#4 2015-05-08 09:33:41

murphy

I cant think of anything specific to NPP, but a few general *band features i wouldn't miss:

- thrown weapons, i've only ever thrown a weapon out of pure desperation, seems like this is of no practical use

- stuck doors, always bothered me, just purely a time waster

Hey also its great to see all the development and hope the testing is going well!  I'm stuck in the real world for a few months, hope to rejoin the game one of these days!

#5 2015-05-09 08:56:09

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

In the last version I re-did throwing a bit.  Thrown weapons can do some heavy damage early in the game.  A rogue who find's a 'thanc early on has a has a one throw-one kill weapon up to around 1000 or so.

It has always hit me as odd that it is easier to tunnel through stuck doors than bash them.  I wonder if any other variant has done something about it.

#6 2015-05-10 08:08:03

murphy

Cool!  I'll give throwing another try.

Oh yeah maybe one other thing to think about would be mushrooms.  The risk/reward is too unfavorable to eat random ones.  And even the helpful ones arent worth using an inventory slot to carry them.  So as things are now i just completely ignore them.

Last edited by murphy (2015-05-10 08:08:54)

#7 2015-05-13 09:09:57

camb

Another thing that I'd like to see removed (I don't know whether it's specific to NPP) is getting knocked out in melee. This has killed me several times and is frustrating as it can happen against monsters that are relatively weak and which lull you into a false sense of security, e.g. when clearing out ogre nests easily in the mid-game and losing concentration after the 80th ogre.

Maybe removing it is going a bit far, but could there be a more prominent warning, e.g. a prompt "You are heavily stunned. Do you really want to continue fighting?" that needs a carriage return if you're heavily stunned and about to hit a monster that can knock you out?

Cameron

#8 2015-05-14 21:03:51

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

In the new version, the warning that you are heavily stunned is a pop-up window, with a bell.  I have been TKO'ed once or twice myself.

Board footer