TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2015-12-27 09:34:59

hydraa

main window sub windows

Lost the ability to resize the sidebar window.
The message window needs to have the ability to resize smaller as 3 lines in tiny fonts leaves space that can be used for the main window
also there is separator on sidebar and message that I don't think serve much purpose and would add a bit more real estate to main window

Last edited by hydraa (2015-12-27 09:47:48)

#2 2015-12-27 13:57:37

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: main window sub windows

The limitations on re-sizing the sidebar and message window are made necessary by how QT handles widgets.  Currently they can only be re-sized by closing and opening the program.

I had to remove the scrollbars on the sidebar because, when the vertical scrollbar appears, the monster health bars think the sidebar widget got larger and they expand when re-drawn.  Then the sidebar widget expands to fit the larger monster health bars.  This cycle repeats indefinitely every time the sidebar is re-drawn.  After a couple turns the monster health bars are larger than the whole computer screen.

The message window cannot be shrunk so small that lines text can't be seen (except by making the font larger after opening up the game).  There could be an option to have the player specify the screen show "x" number of lines.

I did find a bug where the message window for the top of the main screen was loading the font of the large message window.  This is fixed.

QT automatically draws those separators.  They technically are different widgets than the main screen, just like all of the extra windows the player can open.  The only difference is the sidebar and message window are "docked" to the main window, and the others are independent

#3 2015-12-28 11:19:53

hydraa

In the current pre-beta 4 build, the message subwindow is resizable (up and down).  The sidebar used to be, because I usually would have to adjust it a few times at the start of a game as bars where drawn and removed.
And QT does had a scroll bar to the sidebar when I resize the message to be very large or use a extra large font (This is probably built in functionality.

The current message sub window fits font Tahoma 12.  If smaller then the space is 'wasted'  I try to run it at 7 point font and would like to be able to shrink the existing window to that size. 

Adding a option for x lines might be useful.  sometimes when there are several creatures or a highly energetic creature, there are more then 3 lines of text generated, but it is pretty easy to look at the full list when needed and that is only a small % of the time of use

#4 2015-12-28 13:25:09

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

There are some things that can easily be programmed:

The message box at the top could be deleted, for example, if the player has the extra message window open. 

Both the sidebar and the message window can be taken out of their docs and moved to wherever the player wants.  It might be good to have the sidebar taken out and placed next to the main window, so the sidebar can use the entire height available to it.

The sidebar and message window can also be moved from left to right, and top to bottom respectively.

But in order to enable those features, each of those windows would have to have a title bar, which takes up a little bit of space, even when they are docked.

Board footer