TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

July 4th, 2018 - Registrations have been turned off due to the large ratio of spam vs legitimate discussion.

#1 2013-01-26 01:08:44

camb

Monster health bars

The new list of monster health bars is a great addition. I like the fact that they list everything in sight, this alone is very useful. Once we get used to this feature I suspect it will hard to play without it.

A couple of minor tweaks might make it even better:

1. Start the list one line lower. At the moment it starts directly below the level feeling indicator, so you get this long run of uninterrupted information -- information overload! Leaving a one-line gap will help differentiate things.

2. Tone down the colours. At the moment there seems to be a lot of bright colour (cyan?) which looks like some kind of warning out of the corner of your eye and gets a bit distracting. There's so much colour on that side now that a low hitpoint warning would be easy to miss.

Even having the monster health bars all the same (subdued) colour might be worth trying. I don't think they need to be eye-catching.

I've also noticed a couple of times where an empty health bar shows for "Unknown" or somesuch when there is no monster in sight. Should this happen?

Cameron

Last edited by camb (2013-01-26 01:10:16)

#2 2013-01-26 07:40:22

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: Monster health bars

camb wrote:

A couple of minor tweaks might make it even better:

1. Start the list one line lower. At the moment it starts directly below the level feeling indicator, so you get this long run of uninterrupted information -- information overload! Leaving a one-line gap will help differentiate things.

Good suggestion, will do.

camb wrote:

2. Tone down the colours. At the moment there seems to be a lot of bright colour (cyan?) which looks like some kind of warning out of the corner of your eye and gets a bit distracting. There's so much colour on that side now that a low hitpoint warning would be easy to miss.

It is the same color as the monster default color.  Probably too much.  I will make it one color.

camb wrote:

Even having the monster health bars all the same (subdued) colour might be worth trying. I don't think they need to be eye-catching.

It has always been that way.  It is designed to show how close the monster is to dropping down to another star.  Useful for battling Morgoth and Ungoliant, but not for a normal monster.  But now that multiple monsters are displayed, it might be too much.

camb wrote:

I've also noticed a couple of times where an empty health bar shows for "Unknown" or somesuch when there is no monster in sight. Should this happen?

It must be a targeted monster that is no longer visible.

By the way, one thing I didn't point out is that if you click on the monster on the sidebar, the monster memory for that race will show up.  I am also going to add, when targeting, the player will be able to click on the sidebar to target that monster, assuming they are in LOS.

#3 2013-01-26 07:46:11

camb

Re: Monster health bars

NPPAngband wrote:

By the way, one thing I didn't point out is that if you click on the monster on the sidebar, the monster memory for that race will show up.

Yes I noticed that. Very handy!

Cameron

Board footer