TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

November 28, 2016 - NPPAngband forum has been migrated to a new host. SSL has been enabled so please use https:// if possible.

#1 2011-09-11 05:22:45

Bogatyr

Coming to npp from v: what should I know?

I've read about LOS changes on this forum (how can I possibly live as a mage against powerful baddies without my beloved LOS trick hallways, pillardancing, etc.?), but I haven't found any "npp for v players" FAQ.  Is there a document somewhere?    What does "of the Elements" mean on an item?  Resist{Lightning,Fire,Cold,Acid}?

I'd love to hear about how your NPP mage strategies (vs. pits, major uniques, etc.) differ from those in V.

In general, does a player need to take it way slower and more carefully in NPP?

#2 2011-09-11 08:30:40

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Re: Coming to npp from v: what should I know?

[armor] of the elements means resist (lighting, fire, cold, poison, acid), but they can have more than one at a time.  Same thing with [weapons] of slays.

As the maintainer, I am probably not the best source for playing advice, but this is a start and hopefully the experienced players will add on to it:

* If you see a monster in NPP that isn't in vanilla, it is probably more dangerous than others of its depth.  Particularly be wary of Azathoth and the hydras with over 10 heads.

* You can build an extremely powerful character by doing quests, but the qualify of the rewards drop significantly if you fail one.  Some people just do quests all the way down the dungeon, and by around 3000' they are close to being ready for Morgoth.

* The game is balanced like the old Angband 2.8.3.  Vanilla has made alot of balance changes since then (most think making the game slightly easier and friendlier to powerdiving), but NPP has not adopted most of these changes.  So there is a significant upturn in dungeon nastiness around 2000 (with many creatures that can hit you for 300 hp in one turn), and by 3500', the majority of creatures can hit you for 500 hp in one turn.

* The spells for mages/priests/druids are a bit more powerful and varied than in vanilla.  We have tried to make them play like pure spellcasters throughout the game. 

* The LOS trick doesn't work well.  Pillar dancing is only moderately useful, but the monster will try to lob spells at the square next to you and hit you with splash damage. 

* Hockey stick corridors don't work in NPP.  You should have plenty of spells that will let you face the powerful and hit them with damage.  As long as your health and mana can be restored, you will eventually drain their monster mana and they are easy from there.  If you can hit them with powerful enough spells, they will use thir mana and turns to heal and you can keep pouring on the damage.

* Anti summoning corridors are still extremely helpful in keeping groups of monsters out of LOS, so you only have to fight a couple at a time.

* The town, with store services, is a bit more useful than in Vanilla.  Or at least I am trying to make it that way.

#3 2011-09-12 17:27:44

Sethos

While I've never played a mage in either, I've found that the fighter types (fighter and brigand, really) tend to do much better in NPP vs V. as long as you do the quests from the start - You'll really appreciate it when you start picking up multiple artifacts and closing up all the gaps in your defenses. I've (so far) been able to take my characters all the way through stat gain fairly quickly and easily, especially with the extra services in town.

As the glorious maintainer said though, watch out for those blasted hydras, unless you've managed something sick like a +30 permanent speed... which can happen if you take on a few elemental dragon strongholds or somesuch... and survive, that is. smile

best of luck!

#4 2011-09-13 08:33:41

Bogatyr

Thanks for the info!

I'm a long-time roguealike player (in fact started with rogue in the 80's) and an on-and-off again angband player for a long time.   Felt the need for a fix, and found npp, and have played with it for a few days.   Nice!   I never strayed from V before because I found  the variants "too far" in philosophy from the original.   Quests are great, they really make the game interesting, especially the stronghold levels -- man those are tough, especially for a wimpy HE mage.   The town is great, too, I like the services.   I may even try a fighter class, but I normally just can't live without my beloved identify and detect-everything.

Keep up the good work!

#5 2011-09-24 20:50:45

murphy

I havent thought it through enough to come up with a thorough list, but a few more things that v players should be prepared for:

runes are dungeon features like traps, except that they can damage or affect a player from anywhere in LOS.  At deep levels they can dish out some big damage and/or nasty effects, so detect traps and some means of disarming a trap from a distance are essential to carry.

there are some helpful wall features and some hurtful ones.  stone-to-mud is also a good thing to carry, for the latter.

fighter types in my opinion are harder to play than spellcasters.  one factor is actually the two items listed above, because a fighter will probably need to dedicate two inventory slots to deal with them: (1) disarm and (2) stone-to-mud, whereas spellcasters will already have these capabilities in their spellbooks.  and thats in addition to carrying a pack full of healing items & escape items that a spellcaster might not have to carry, as in any *band

#6 2011-09-25 07:56:22

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

One of the most important ones:

Do not try to ID by use.  NPP still has the old Vanilla object list, and there are plenty of things that can kill you if you try them.

Board footer