TONPPAMF

The Official NPPAngband And NPPMoria Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

July 4th, 2018 - Registrations have been turned off due to the large ratio of spam vs legitimate discussion.

#1 2011-10-02 09:09:39

Bogatyr

quest rewards -- duplicate (worse) items?

Is it the intention that quest reward items can be given where the player already has something very similar (but better) in his inventory/equip/home?    Several times I've been given an excellent item inferior to something I already had, like a RoS +6 when I had already two RoS's +8, and once an Amulet of the Magi with +'s less than one I already had.   I read somewhere that the reward code tried to "fill a hole" in the player equipment so that's why I'm asking.

#2 2011-10-03 09:22:11

Bogatyr

Re: quest rewards -- duplicate (worse) items?

It happened again!   I feel like making a T-shirt: "I just killed 38 Great Aether Wyrms and all they got me was this stupid RoS(+8)" (for those not getting the reference, there was a craze in the US a few decades ago for someone visiting an exotic foreign place and returning with shirt that had written on it: "My (sister/family/etc.) just got back from <foreign place>, and all they got me was this stupid t-shirt").

Great Wyrms drop RoS's like candy, I've since graduated to wearing two +9's, so I'm just leaving the RoS(+8) on the ground outside the guild so a pitiful looking beggar can buy a mansion in the suburbs.

Last edited by Bogatyr (2011-10-03 09:22:35)

#3 2011-10-03 15:04:04

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

That happens to me when I play too.  The early good/great item quest rewards is just the most expensive of a bunch of generated items.   When the game is doing a tailored reward, it stores the most expensive item you have for each equipment slot (it checks your home, backpack, equipment, and the town floor), and gives you the one that has the largest price increase over your current best item.  But, if nothing generated meets that criteria, it gives you the msot expensive item instead.  Since rings of speed are so expensive, they show up alot as late quest rewards.

Have you failed any quests?  The number of items generated, from which the quest reward is generated, increases with your player fame. 

What do you all think of this idea?  Instead of generating a bunch of items and choosing the item for you, the game temporarily fills the guild inventory with possible quest rewards and lets you choose one?  I can't guarantee the selection will be great, but at least the player will get to choose from a list instead of having it chosen for them.

#4 2011-10-03 16:08:20

Bogatyr

Thanks for the info.  No I've not failed any quests, and I'm "legendary" in the guild.   I think the selection idea is awesome!

#5 2011-10-03 23:02:08

murphy

getting to choose from a list would be fun! if it was not all the time but just once in a while too then it would seem like a really great reward.  maybe just non artifact items, or would need some way to inspect them before chosing

#6 2011-10-03 23:59:34

camb

>Instead of generating a bunch of items and choosing the item for you, the game temporarily fills the guild inventory with possible quest rewards and lets you choose one?

That sounds really good.

Cameron

#7 2011-10-04 06:17:05

Sethos

I LOVE the Idea of getting to pick out your quest reward from a list.
questions though:

would that burn through the list of artifacts? would the quest generated artifacts then be preserved? Is that a good thing?

Great... That makes me ask more questions...
is there a limit to the number of randarts generated in a game? if so, are any of them guaranteed to be "Powerful" ones? is it bad to have lots of randarts generated on early levels?

Blast... I'm sorry for playing 20 questions. and being too lazy to start a topic just for that, too.

#8 2011-10-04 08:09:17

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Sethos wrote:

I LOVE the Idea of getting to pick out your quest reward from a list.
questions though:

Me too.  I am actually wondering why it took 7 years for me to think of it. smile

Come to think of it, when the player gets a custom made randart as a quest reward, the player should be allowed to pick the item to be made into a randart as well.  If anyone wants to code letting the player determine which features are added to the randart, that would be even better.  My changelist is too long to take that on any time soon, but that would be a great reward.

Sethos wrote:

would that burn through the list of artifacts? would the quest generated artifacts then be preserved? Is that a good thing?

No, they would be preserved.  The guild technically has memory allocated to keeping a store inventory, but it is always empty and never displayed.  I would just temporarily stock it with potential quest rewards, let the player pick one, and then wipe the inventory after they do so.  Quest reward generated standard artifacts would be preserved so they can appear again.  Randarts would be erased.

Sethos wrote:

Great... That makes me ask more questions...
is there a limit to the number of randarts generated in a game? if so, are any of them guaranteed to be "Powerful" ones? is it bad to have lots of randarts generated on early levels?

NPP has 35 slots reserved extra randarts in mid-game.  That's 35 randarts in addition to the standart artifact list (or the replacement list of randarts generated at player creation with that option turned on).  But that limit is for 35 to exist at one time (editable in limits txt, but that probably breaks the savfile).  When you dispose of a in-game created randart, the slot is wiped and can be used again.  It would work the same way with quest rewards. So, no harm done to the creation of future potential "powerful" artifacts, unless you fill your home and inventory with 35 in-game created randarts and don't dispose of the weak ones.

#9 2011-10-04 14:09:37

Sethos

NPPAngband wrote:

NPP has 35 slots reserved extra randarts in mid-game.  That's 35 randarts in addition to the standart artifact list (or the replacement list of randarts generated at player creation with that option turned on).  But that limit is for 35 to exist at one time (editable in limits txt, but that probably breaks the savfile).  When you dispose of a in-game created randart, the slot is wiped and can be used again.  It would work the same way with quest rewards. So, no harm done to the creation of future potential "powerful" artifacts, unless you fill your home and inventory with 35 in-game created randarts and don't dispose of the weak ones.

okay, that leads me to one last question.

does that mean that your chances for getting randarts will improve if you keep less randarts for "just in case?" I'll be shedding several immediately if so. O_O

#10 2011-10-04 15:00:46

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

Sethos wrote:

okay, that leads me to one last question.

does that mean that your chances for getting randarts will improve if you keep less randarts for "just in case?" I'll be shedding several immediately if so. O_O

Nothing like that.  The number of empty slots has no effect on the Good/Great/Artifact rarity rolls that must be passed to create a randart.  If it passes those tests, the game checks all 35 slots until it finds an empty one, then it creates a randart.  If it can't find an empty slot, it generates an ego-item instead. 

35 in-game randarts is kind of tough to do, however.  I do believe a player would have to deliberately stock up the home and backpack to get that many at once.  I guess the game should check there is an empty artifact slot before offering the player a special vault quest, because the special artifact uses one of the slots.  I should go check that.

#11 2011-10-04 15:15:14

NPPAngband
NPPAngband Maintainer
Website

I really like the two ideas of leting thier player choose a quest reward from the guild inventory, and setting up a ui menu for the player to customize their own randarts either purchased through the guild service and received as a quest reward. 

Right now I have a LONG list of changes I want to make, more than I could possibly have time to ever do, but those two will definitely be in the first WIP NPP 060 release. 

Right now, I am about halfway through improving mouse support for the game.  While no keyboard functionality will be lost or replaced, a person will have the option of playing practically the entire game using just mouseclicks.  My goal is to reduce the steep learning curve for new players.  I should have this out in a couple weeks.  That will be the last of the 0.5.x series, then I start working on 060.

Board footer